The gemeinnützige Verein (a registered version of a charitable association) Computertruhe e. V. restores donated computers and other hardware and forwards it for free to persons in need. We are mainly active in Landkreis Emmendingen and in the municipal area of Freiburg im Breisgau (Baden-Württemberg) as well as Lemgo (Northrhine-Westfalia).
- to enable digital participation for people who could otherwise not afford a computer
- to support the integration of refugees into our society
- to protect the environment with the continued use of operational devices and with proper disposal of defective components
You require a device?
- Please complete the contact form on our website. If the required device needs to meet special specifications, you can include that information in the form.
- Special devices and supplies can also be found on our webpage with current offers.
- As soon as we have a matching device for you, we will contact you. If required – and manageable for us – we also bring the device to you and set it up right there.
Please note that:
- The devices we offer are used, carefully cleaned, tested and repaired. Nevertheless we cannot offer a binding warranty for their functioning.
- Due to cost and licensing reasons we install most computers with an uptodate, free and user friendly GNU/Linux operating system together with free software for internet usage, playing audio and video files and for extensive office tasks.
- Due to huge demand we have waiting lists.
- For legal reasons our offer only applies to people in need (according to § 52 and § 53 German Tax Code). Your eligibility can for example be proven with a current Leistungsbescheid for ALG II, Sozialgeld, Sozialhilfe or benefits based on Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz or your current resident permit as an asylum seeker. Please let us have a digital copy of the respective certificate on request or have it at hand when the device is handed over to you.
How to support us:
- hardware donations (desktop PCs, laptops, flat screen monitors, input devices …)
- membership in our association
- donating money